Posted by: Admin | February 24, 2010

My (hopefully) Last Call To Unemployment

It’s good to be busy and working again but heck, I went from sitting around with my thumb up my butt and playing around on the internet to working 2 jobs and 7 days a week!

I’m obviously working my new role M-F but since I’d still like to get my real estate career off the ground I’m still doing this on the weekends.  And, I can tell you with certainty I’m exhausted.  I came home one day last week and told my hubby that I was ready for bed and it was only 7:30 at night!

I still also haven’t put my unemployment 100% behind me.  Today, I had some nice reminders of how crappy and how frustrating it was. 

Today was the day I was due to submit for my weekly unemployment benefits.  Believe it or not, the explanation of what you need to do when you finally get a job is not 100% clear (why should it be.. nothing else with the unemployment office is very clear??).  So, I figured I’d just report on my normal day and tell them they don’t need to send me a check.  But,  instead of filing online like I normally would, I decided to call them to tell them I am finally gainfully employed so I was sure that it was handled properly.  But if you recall, getting someone on the phone at unemployment is quite a task!

In case you don’t remember any of my other posts about the challenges of trying to call the unemployment office (you can go here to read about when I called them on my Canniversary), or, I’ll just give you a quick reminder of how it played out today – which is eerily similar to that old post.

I dial the phone # and get a recording that tells me their *new* hours of service are  from 7:00am to 6:00pm.

This recording is immediately followed by another recording that says that they “cannot take my call at this time”.

Then I am disconnected.

So, I hang up & call back something like 25 times (literally) until I finally get a different recording that puts me into a queue to speak to an agent.

A new recording comes on to tell me the wait time is 25 minutes.

About 15 minutes LATER there’s another recording telling me the wait time is now 20 minutes (I don’t know about you, but this math doesn’t really make sense to me.. but who am I to judge???).

About 45 minutes after I’m first connected, I get to speak with someone for about 1 minute to tell her I got a job…. HOORAY!

She gives me her version of a government-employee- unethusiastic-congratulations and I hang up.

Cheers to my offical “lay off” from Uncle Sam and fingers crossed that I never have to call them again!



  1. Unemployment math – very complicated!! 😉

  2. Someone one the other end was having you on. I know this from the details you present: in fact, you actually dialed the U.S. Postal Service.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: